October 16 / Whole 30 Day 16 Breakfast: Beef, Kale, & Mushroom Breakfast Bake
Last night, I set out to make some Paleo Egg Muffins, but realized that I forgot to collect my muffin tins at M’s. Crap. Well - just add it to the list of various items to get back from him at some point. Or not. I incidentally have some of his stuff too, and need to do a trade off. Filing this under things to think about later.
So I improvised and made a breakfast bake instead! The recipe is below - and is super easy! One thing to note is that you really could put whatever the hell you want in this bake - I used what I had on hand, and the amounts really don’t matter. I guess you just need to add more eggs, the more you put in. I had 7 eggs, so that’s what I planned for with the rest of the ingredients.
Recipe: Beef, Kale, & Mushroom Breakfast Bake
- 1/4 of a small onion
- 4 oz of grass-fed ground beef or other meat of choice (I think sausage or chorizo would have been better, but I just used what I had on hand)
- Olive oil, for sautéing
- 2-3 cups of chopped kale (remember, it’ll cook down!)
- 3/4 cup of diced bell peppers (I used red/orange/yellow)
- 1/4 cup of chopped scallions
- 1 cup of chopped baby bella mushrooms (I love me some shrooms)
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium-high heat, saute your onions until soft, then add in your beef until it’s browned. Drain the excess oil, then set the meat mixture aside in a medium bowl.
- Turn the temperature down to medium, wipe out your skillet, then cook your kale in a little olive oil. Once it’s finished cooking down, set that aside with the meat.
- In the same pan, add a little more olive oil, then drop in your bell peppers. Once those look a bit softened, add your scallions and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms look about done, maybe 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer that to the to the meat and kale and mix it all up.
- In a separate bowl, crack open your eggs and whisk until blended. Then pour the eggs into the cooked stuff. Blend well.
- Stir in your seasonings. Pick whatever spices you want. Then transfer the whole shebang into a greased glass casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the eggs are no longer gooey.
Nutrition (serving size - 140g)
- Calories: 157
- Total Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 208mg
- Sodium: 101mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6.2g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
- Sugars: 1.5g
- Protein: 14g