Whole 30 Day 5 / April 13 Dinner: Singapore Street Noodles
Last night, we ate Singapore Street Noodles! M has been talking about preparing these for some time now, so it was fun finally to try them. Obviously, they weren’t really noodles - we used spaghetti squash - but it was delicious all the same!
For the noodles
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided (we use Tropical Traditions)
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs, sliced
- 10 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup snow peas, with the tips snapped off
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Optional garnishes:
- Scallions, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime, cut into quarters
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (we used homemade!)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce) (we use Coconut Secret)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp hot curry powder (we use Penzey’s)
- 1 tbsp pepper sauce (we made homemade!)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Cook the spaghetti squash by slicing it in half lengthwise, scooping out the goop and microwaving until done (i.e., when you can take a fork and make it into strings). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces and salt them. In your largest skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat, then sauté the chicken until cooked through. Remove from pan and place in a fresh, large bowl.
- Pat your shrimp dry. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan, then sauté the shrimp until cooked through. Transfer the shrimp to the cooked chicken bowl.
- Add the snow peas, cabbage, carrots, and garlic to the pan and sauté until carrots are soft.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash. Then stir in the sauce. Then stir in the chicken and shrimp.
- Let everything warm up a bit, about 1-2 minutes.
- Plate/bowl it with your garnish(es) then enjoy!
Serves 4 generously.